10 minutes of exercise a day
The Diet Calorie Counter
Health and Fitness
Health & Wellbeing > Allergies and medicine

Reaction to Penicillin at 62

I'm 62, and I recently went into anaphylactic shock after taking penicillin for the first time. My husband called an ambulance and the paramedics treated me at home, so I'm fine now. Should I go to my doctor and ask to be referred to an allergy specialist? Could I be allergic to other things, without knowing? I'm quite worried about it. Thanks very much.

Normally, penicillin allergy is an allergy to penicillin and its derivatives alone. If you are allergic to anything else, it would have been discovered a long time ago given your age. Make sure any doctor who treats you knows about your allergy, think about buying an allergy bracelet in case you every need the emergency services, so that they are aware too. Go to www.medicalert.org.uk for more information.

Other answers from our experts...
Pregnancy and Allergy to Sun

Choose a topic :

Search 'Ask the Expert' using keywords :

Don't miss...
Ten men who you don’t want to marry The best festival hairstyles: Celebrity festival hair
The best ideas for New Year's Eve worldwide!Sudoku
Latest… 29/04/2017
Health and Fitness News
Beer Yoga Is The Latest Fitness Fad You Need To Try
This Woman Was Blinded By Her Contact Lenses
Diet Coke Might Have Zero Calories But It's Making You Mad, Apparently
There's A Real-life Wine Therapy Spa And We've Already Packed Our Bags
All Health and Fitness news
5 Ways To Gain More Confidence
Everything You Need To Know About The Weight Watchers Diet
The Fricker method
The Mediterranean Diet
See all Health and Fitness guides
Video: How to stay healthy on holiday
See all Health and Fitness videos

Don't miss out!

...Join our newsletter
Get the sofeminine latest straight to your inbox
Find us on...