Reaction to Penicillin at 62
I'm 62, and I recently went into anaphylactic shock after taking penicillin for the first time. My husband called an ambulance and the paramedics treated me at home, so I'm fine now. Should I go to my doctor and ask to be referred to an allergy specialist? Could I be allergic to other things, without knowing? I'm quite worried about it. Thanks very much.
Normally, penicillin allergy is an allergy to penicillin and its derivatives alone. If you are allergic to anything else, it would have been discovered a long time ago given your age. Make sure any doctor who treats you knows about your allergy, think about buying an allergy bracelet in case you every need the emergency services, so that they are aware too. Go to www.medicalert.org.uk for more information.