When we get to a certain age, we desperately seek anti-ageing creams to smooth and firm our skin. The latest cosmetic innovations really do have the power to combat the effects of time - all you need to do is choose the right one!
When we get to a certain age, we desperately seek anti-ageing creams to smooth and firm our skin.
The latest cosmetic innovations really do have the power to combat the effects of time - all you need to do is choose the right one!
Anti-ageing active ingredients
- Anti-oxidants: These anti-ageing substances come in the form of Vitamins A, C, E, trace elements (zinc, selenium and silicon), plant sources (green tea and grapeseed) and algae.
They enable the skin to fight free radicals, improve the skin’s contours and repair damage caused by pollution. Creams with an anti-oxidant base are recommended for thick or thin skin.
- Vitamin A: Often used to fight acne, this powerful ingredient is substituted with the less irritating derivative retinol in anti-wrinkle creams. It stimulates cell renewal, smoothes wrinkles that aren’t too deep, and increases the skin’s thickness. It's advised for women over 35 whose skin is becoming wrinkled before its time, or for women aged 20+ as a preventative measure.
- AHAs: These acids are present in citrus fruits, grapes and sugar cane. They have an exfoliating power that eliminates dead cells in the epidermis and smoothes out lines to restore the skin’s glow. They should be used on thick or sun-damaged skin, but should be avoided if your skin is very sensitive to the sun.
- Sun filters: These protect the skin from the sun’s rays. Sun filters found in anti-wrinkle creams are anti-radical (Vitamin E, Vitamin C, carotene and trace elements).
Some anti-wrinkle creams can make up for certain skin deficiencies:
- Hormonal deficiencies during the menopause can be compensated with phyto-oestrogens that are found in some anti-wrinkle creams.
- Dry skin causes irritation and deepening of wrinkles. Hydrating anti-wrinkle creams will help.
Choose your cream based on your skin type
> If you have dry skin: Dry skin is characterised by a very fragile top layer of the epidermis. Skin tends to be very fine and gets irritated easily.
You need an anti-wrinkle cream for dry skin. It should contain sun filters, identical to the ones found in sun cream, as well as anti-radicals to fight the harmful, oxidising effects of the sun on skin.
Avoid: Exfoliating substances that irritate dry skin.
> If you have oily skin: Oily skin suffers from excess sebum, which is there to protect the epidermis but incrusts the skin along with dirt. Oily skin can appear shiny and needs anti-wrinkle cream to redress loss of elasticity and reduce shine.
Anti-wrinkle creams for oily skin should protect the skin from factors that speed up ageing, such as the sun. It should contain sun filters, as well as anti-radicals to fight the harmful, oxidising effects of the sun on skin.
Avoid: Applying anti-wrinkle cream for oily skin around the contours of the eyes.
> If you have combination skin: combination skin is characterised by differences in texture between different zones.
The T-zone tends to be oily, while the rest of the face tends to be dry. Combination skin is easily irritated.
As the majority of the face tends to be dry, combination skin should be considered as dry skin when it comes to anti-ageing care.
This type of skin doesn’t cope well with exposure to really cold or dry air, or the use of hot water and harsh soaps.
Anti-wrinkle creams for combination skin should contain sun filters as well as anti-radicals.
Avoid: Acidic substances (AHAs, fruit acid, lactic acid and glycolic acid) which irritate skin.
- Apply an anti-oxidant cream in the morning to protect your skin from UV exposure and pollution, then apply an anti-wrinkle cream in the evening.
- Alternate the type of products you use every six months or so.
For effective results, you need the right lifestyle as well as the right anti-wrinkle cream.
Remove your make-up properly, protect your skin from the sun, and eat a healthy, balanced diet, with vegetables, fruit and anti-oxidant rich olive oil every day.