How to get a flat stomach in 30 minutes straight!
A flat stomach is the holy grail of fitness. Although it might seem impossible, getting those wash-board abs can be done!
If you want to know how to get a flat stomach, the first obstacle to overcome is realising that it's gonna take some hard work. Like serious work.
But there is a lot more to it than exercise alone, a healthy diet and lifestyle will also help keep that tum trim.
So if you're looking to keep that stomach in shape and get a flat stomach to be proud of, then follow our tips, complete with a full-on workout routine to transform your tum.
Getting a flat stomach means ridding your mid-driff from all the fat and the only way to do this healthily and effectively is to get that body moving.
We asked Celebrity Personal Trainer and Fitness Expert Ricardo Macedo from R-fitness to put together a real fat-blasting work out to get that stomach as flat as a pancake:
Ricardo says: "This is a short 20-30 minute intense workout focused on the lower body big muscle groups which means you're maximizing the calorie burn. Perform one exercise after the other with no more than 20 seconds gap, once the full routine is performed take a two minute break and do two more rounds."
Step ups – 20 REPs for each leg
- The height you have your step box, will greatly influence the intensity of the exercise, never have the step box higher than your knee height.
- Step up onto the box with one foot, keeping the other foot firmly on the floor.
- Raise the foot from the floor until your knee reaches waist level. Then lower leg until toes reach the floor.
- Do continuously until recommended number of REPs is reached, in this case, that's 20.
- Lower other foot back down to the ground, and repeat for other leg.
- Repeat until recommended number of REPS is reached.
Plank Stabilisation- 45 to 120 seconds
- Raise body in the press up position, supported on elbows and feet.
- Feet should be hip-width apart and elbows shoulder-width apart and in line with upper chest.
- Maintain neutral spine; engage abdominal stabilisation, pulling your navel towards to your spine.
- Do not arch your back, breathe in a relaxed manner.
- Hold as long as you can...anything between 45 to 120 seconds.
Squat Jumps – 20 REPs
- Place your feet hip-width apart and lower into a squat.
- Using the momentum bring your arm up.
- Explode up off the ground.
- Land smoothly and lightly as you can.
- Repeat for 20 reps.
Crunches - 20 REPs
- Lay on your back, pressing your lower back against to the floor avoiding arching.
- Place your hands behind your head with thighs vertical and knees bent.
- Inhale and raise your shoulder off the ground.
- Bring your knees and head toward to each other by crunching.
- Exhale and return your shoulder to the ground.
- Repeat for 20 reps.
Kangaroo Jumps for 1 minute
- Stand upright, place your hands behind your head.
- Lower your body into a deep squat position.
- As you jump up, lift both feet off the ground.
- Keep back straight throughout.
- Repeat jumps for one continuous minute.
Side to Side Crunch - 20 REPS
- Lay on your back
- Press your lower back against the floor avoiding arching
- Knees bent and feet flat on the ground
- Place your hands behind your head
- Inhale and raise your torso rounding your back and rotate your torso 45 degrees to the right
- Moving your left elbow toward your right knee and vice versa
- Return your shoulder to the ground
- Breath in a relaxed manner then repeat 20 reps.
Plié Squat – 20 REPs
- Place your feet a little further than hip-width apart. Your toes and knees should be turned out in a comfortable position.
- Make sure to keep your back straight. Place your hands on your hips.
- Bend your knees, lowering your hips and sinking straight down into a 90 degree position.
- The space between your legs should form a square.
- Straighten your legs back to starting position.
- Repeat for 20 reps.
Sumo Sideways– 20 REPs
Phewwww! Hard work indeed! Now before you treat yourself to chocolate biscuits, read this - the diet info you need for a flatter stomach:
- You start by standing in a sumo position.
- Legs apart, knees bent with your body weight over your heels toes point slightly out, arms.
- Now take one knee up and across your body as far up to your opposite shoulder then down again.
- Then repeat with the opposite leg.
If you chose the right foods you can prevent bloating and burn fat more easily - so stick to these rules for best flat tum results.
Do eat: Animal protein (lean meat, poultry and fish, preferably grilled or steamed, eggs), small quantities of wholegrains, green vegetables, root vegetables (carrots, radishes etc), flowered vegetables such as cabbage, and stemmed vegetables such as leeks, fresh or dried fruit, dark chocolate, water, tea and herbal tea.
Don't eat so much of: Fried food, dairy products with lactose (milk, yoghurt, cottage cheese), white bread, especially fresh, fizzy drinks and juice, floury fruit, dried vegetables, chewing gum, sweets, cakes, pastry, refined pasta, rice and semolina.
Eat at regular hours: Sitting down, where it's quiet. Take your time (put your cutlery down from time to time) and chew each mouthful10 to 15 times to make it easier to digest. Go for cooked (with little or no oil) over raw food, use salt moderately, banish takeaways and meal deals eaten on the go (sandwich/dessert/fizzy drink) and snacks (every time you eat, your body has to work to digest it).
Last but not least, remember to relax. The stomach is the central receptor of our mental state - some call it our second brain.
Blocked energy on many different levels caused by malaise, emotional shock, depression and stress can result in pain, bloating and problems with digestion.
If you want to take care of your insides these handy tips will help:
Breathe deeply: Standing or lying on your back, practice abdominal breathing. Put one hand flat on your stomach and hold your stomach in. Inhale, first opening your thoracic cage, then your abdomen, hold your breath for a few moments then breathe out in the same order.
Massaging your tummy: To untie those knots, relieve pain and assist bowel movements, gently massage your stomach in a clockwise direction, paying special attention to sensitive spots.
For more toning tips check out our Fitness pages!