Women breastcancer - Women and cancer

Connect
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
 in
OK
 
  • Key debates
 
Top 5 rated articles
Raw Food Diet: The ultimate detox
Organic shampoo: The best natural shampoo
How to spice up your relationship
Quiz: Are you too picky to find love?
The best alcoholic fruit cocktail drink recipes ever
International survey results
Women and Cancer: Afraid but not aware
Article in images


Your friends use sofeminine, discover what they have read

Women breastcancer

 

© Thinkstock - Women breastcancer
© Thinkstock
Despite their general fear, many women across Europe and America remain oblivious of different methods of cancer prevention and early detection.
Especially for breast cancer, the most common female cancer, early detection can save a woman from losing her breasts and, more importantly, her life. Regularly checking your own breasts for irregular changes and lumps is the first step in protecting yourself from breast cancer.

By examining our own breasts regularly, we can get to know how they look and feel normally and can more readily detect any signs or symptoms if a change occurs, such as development of a lump or swelling, skin irritation, nipple pain or colour changes or a discharge other than breast milk. Reporting any breast changes to a doctor or nurse as soon as you spot them could mean the difference between life and death.

Unfortunately, almost two-thirds of the respondents don’t check or rarely check their breasts themselves. French women are the least aware with a staggering 26 per cent never doing the self-check and 39 per cent only sometimes; this goes for women from Italy, Poland and Germany as well.

46 per cent of British women said check their breasts regularly and while this is a better result than the rest of Europe it still leaves a staggering 54% who are not taking this simple step which could save their life.

Regular mammograms are equally low on the agenda. This however also depends
on the different health schemes across Europe and the Americas. Experts recommend regular mammograms should be carried out in women from the age of 40. Women at risk (greater than 20% lifetime risk) should get a mammogram every year. If you want a mammogram or are unsure how to check your own breasts, talk to your GP or gynecologist as soon as possible.




  
  

Shila Meyer Behjat
26/10/2010
Rank this page: 

Article Plan Women and cancer
Don't miss...
Christmas 2013: The best gift ideas for menTime management tips: Get more done in less time
Bedtime stories: How to bond with your child50 Fabulous Flats: Ballerinas, Loafers and More
Latest… 19/04/2014
Women in Focus News
Guides
Videos
This Is The World's Toughest Job But Someone You Know Is Already Doing It
How To Deal With Being Made Redundant: 7 Ways To Keep Moving Forward
20 Things Everyone Needs to Know to Survive Coachella
Why Every Woman Should Feel Comfortable In Her Own Skin
All Women in Focus news
Changing your name | How to change your name
Getting a mortgage | a quick guide to getting a mortgage
Scrapbooking: making a scrapbook album like a pro
Work for yourself - get your small business online
See all Women in Focus guides
Income protection: What if you couldn't work?
See all Women in Focus videos
 

Don't miss out!

...Join our newsletter
Get the sofeminine latest straight to your inbox
  OK
Find us on...
         

Copyright © 1999-2014 soFeminine.co.uk
This week: Food & Drink Special : recipes from A to Z, by country, by duration, by type - Surnames - E-cards
Axel Springer Group: Idealo.co.uk