Home / Entertainment / News celebrities / Madonna show hit by second death

Madonna show hit by second death

Published on 17 July 2009

A 32-year-old British man has died of injuries sustained when a roof from Madonna's stage set collapsed.

A second worker has died following the collapse of Madonna's stage set.
Charles Prow, 32, from Headingley near Leeds, died overnight from the injuries he sustained in the accident in Marseilles.
A 53-year-old Frenchman died instantly when the partially-built roof for the set at the city's Velodrome stadium caved in, bringing down a crane.
Eight other people were seriously hurt, including an American man who is said to be in a critical condition. More than 30 others suffered minor injuries and shock.
Technicians had been setting up the stage at the city's 60,000-seater stadium when the partially-built structure fell in.
One worker said: "Technicians knew what they were doing, but there was a terrible accident. Sadly, these things can happen."
French officials have opened an investigation for manslaughter, and experts are already examining the scene and interviewing witnesses.
The singer - who was due to play five shows at the venue from Sunday (19.07.09) - issued a statement about the tragedy, saying: "I'm devastated at the tragic news. My prayers go to those who were injured and their families."
The 50-year-old pop star was told of the accident while she was rehearsing for her concert at Friuli Stadium, in Udine, Italy, yesterday (16.07.09).
Later in the evening, she stopped her performance and tearfully told the audience: "I ask you for a moment to stop and think of the people who have lost their lives, we need to appreciate life, the people we love and our families."

You might also like