Preparing baby's clothes
As the months pass, your bump becomes rounder and baby's arrival is imminent. It's best to get everything ready in advance so you can dedicate all your time to your baby when you come out of hospital.
Although you don't need to spend a fortune on newborn-size clothes that will only be used for 3 weeks at the most, you do need to prepare some clothing for your baby.
- For the first few weeks, you'll need 8 to 10 newborn bodysuits. Sleepsuits are also essential. Choose ones that are easy to slip on (with buttons at the crotch) in suitable materials for the season (light cotton for summer, thicker for winter).
- Invest in woolly clothes and shoes, as babies feel the cold easily.
- For a winter birth, prepare a going-home outfit that includes a bonnet and mittens.
- For a summer birth, a cotton coat and hat will be enough.
- Take a blanket or snuggle-suit for outdoors.
Your midwife will provide you with a list of things you should take to the hospital for you and baby. To make sure you don't forget anything, read and fill out our special Mum and Baby checklists too!