1. There’s a moment in every book when, just like that, you’re hooked
It might be 5, 10 or 100 pages in, but if the moment happens, you'll know it.
2. Then, it pretty much dominates every waking moment
Just need to know...what happens next...
3. When you put it down you feel like you’re forgetting to do something important
Why am I making dinner when books need to be read immediately?
4. Reaching your destination when commuting is infuriating
But-but I still have a page of the chapter left. YOU CAN'T DO THIS TO ME.
5. You seriously doubt a first date when they say they don't read
Erm...my friend just called with an emergency...
6. You can get into deep conversations about characters as though they’re people
Worrying about a character's wellbeing is a common problem. They're real to us!
7. You would rather stab yourself in the eye than get a Kindle
Would Shakespeare have used a Kindle? WELL?
8. Doing tasks one handed whilst reading a book has become a key life skill
Drying hair, walking, making Baked Alaska, it's all good.
9. You cry more over the death of a fictional character than actual people
Let's face it, you've known these (fake) people for years!
10. You have no room for any of your books but there’s no way you’d sell them
So instead they are piled in every nook and cranny you can find.
11. Spoiling the end of a book is the most heinous act another person can do
There's no words for when this happens to you. The shock. The crushing disappointment. The rage.
12. Waterstones is your happy place.
Getting locked in a bookshop is your sleepover dream come true.
13. Not sleeping through the night because your book takes priority over rest is the norm
Work doesn't matter. This matters.
14. You have a keen sense of horror for people who ‘just watch the show’
WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO YOURSELF. There'll be so many tidbits that they'll miss, subplots they'll never know. It's just NOT the same.
15. You'll feel happy but sad when you’ve got to the end of a really good book
Reading books isn't sad. It's just sad when it's over.
16. Then there’s a terrible wait for the next book in your series
17. You couldn’t possible choose a favourite
That's like asking a parent to choose their favourite child. It ain't happening.
Stuck for a book at the moment? Here's some you can get stuck into!