Basic Pancake Batter Recipe
Makes 8 pancakes takes around 30 minutes
How to make: a Basic pancake batter recipe
Ingredients for pancake batter:
- 125g flour - plain
- 1 medium size egg
- 200ml semi-skimmed milk
- 100ml water
- a little oil or butter for frying
Basic pancake batter method:
- Sift the flour through a sieve into a large bowl then make a well.
- Beat the egg in a teacup and pour it into the well.
- Combine the milk and water then, stirring constantly, slowly add it to the mix.
- Once all the liquid is combined beat until smooth.
Cooking pancake batter:
- Heat a frying pan over a medium heat and add a few drops of oil or a knob of butter (pour off any excess and reserve for re-lubricting the pan as it will dry out after each pancake).
- Pour a little batter into the pan and swirl so that the pacake batter coats the bottom.
- Cook until bubbles appear and the edge start to curl - 1-2minutes
- Loosen the edges and flip it over either using a fish-slice or spatula. You can also shake the pan and flip it over using just this but be careful!!
- The underside should be golden, if it's not you can always give it another flip when this side is cooked (1-2mins).
- Either serve immediately or pile the pancakes on to a warm plate with sheets of greaseproof paper in between each to prevent sticking.
- Keep your pancakes in the oven (on a very low setting) to warm and continue to make 8 pancakes in total.
More pancakes on sofeminine...
Pancake recipePancake recipes
How to make American pancakesSavoury pancake recipe
Savoury pancake fillings
No eggs, no milk
When is pancake day?How to make perfect pancakesPhil Vickery's apple & caramel pancakes