Just when you thought picking a colour was the hardest thing you had to do when getting a manicure, this woman's unfortunate experience goes and proves us all wrong. Turns out answering the question, 'square or round?' is the hardest thing you'll have ever do in a nail salon. Well, it is if you visit the same one as this poor girl.
You see when Emma Jones, from Manchester, went into a nail bar and requested a round manicure, nothing could prepare her for the finished look. It seems her manicurist took the round finish a little too literally and this was the result:
A whole £35 later and Emma was free to leave the salon with the very, ahem, round nails she asked for. Her aunt Angela, who happens to be a nail technician, shared the photo of the botched manicure on Facebook and it's now been shared over 13,000 times. We can't say we're surprised when the acrylics have quite literally gobbled up her nail bed. Where are her cuticles please?!
Emma told Mamamia that she was too busy chatting away about her holiday to realise what had happened. "I was completely distracted at the salon because we were talking about my experiences in Turkey as I have just come back from a holiday so I headed out the salon and got in my car and thought what on earth has he done!
"I was mortified so I headed to my cousin's mum's salon to have my eyebrows done and she was mortified as a technician herself."
Luckily her aunt Angela was on hand to fix this mani monstrosity and here's her nails looking back to normal. Notice how Emma opted for a square finish this time, just to be on the safe side.
Guide to getting the right nail shape
1. Make eye contact and lots of it. It's not creepy it's practical and necessary.
2. Communicate your answer with a firm decisive tone - don't let them see you're weak. You know exactly what shape and colour you want. Put the colour wheel down.
3. Bring supplementary material with you to demonstrate what you like: magazine cuttings, screenshots, J-Lo posters. Whatever visuals you have, BRING THEM.
4. Make casual conversation-cum-small-talk with the manicurist but always keep one eagle eye on that mani. There's no room for mistakes - fix up look sharp.
5. Don't be afraid to tell them if you're not happy with them. It's better to speak up now than leave the salon with nails the size and shape of Italy.
So to sum up, next time you take a trip to a nail bar, bring a notepad and pen and do a little nail bed doodle just to be safe. Or, if your artistic talents are limited, screenshots of fancy nails you like will be a failsafe mani you really want.
Have you ever seen a worse mani? Pray tell! Let us know: @sofeminineUK
You might also like: